The natural superiority of hardwood flooring pulls you towards itself. The wide solid wood planks are attainable in shades of grey, gold, brown, black and wine. The grace of natural hardwood lies in the rich texture of grains, integrated within the varieties of maple, walnut, red and white oak. The entire board in this flooring treatment comprises of solid wood and no synthetic element. Thus, hardwood flooring can be used for many years in your home.
The good news is that, if the planks get accidentally scratched or damaged with a dent; then a particular plank or the entire row can be repaired and replaced. With some finishing and a protective coat, the entire floor becomes new all over again. These factors will get appreciated by a prospective buyer of your home and increase the value of your property.
The Best Way to Install Hardwood Flooring
Obtained directly from nature and completely made of real wood, the hardwood planks are breathable. Thus, solid wood floors respond to change in moisture content. This results in undesired expansion and contraction of the planks, making them split and shrink.
With advanced technological parameters, human brains have inevitably developed ways to tackle the problematic phase. One such measure is to install hardwood planks using tongue and groove method. This allows the hardwood surface to float and remain distant from the moisture content in the sub-floor.
Tongue and Groove Method in Detail
- Gather the hardwood flooring material in the concerned room, where it is meant to be placed. The duration in case of hardwood flooring is for 7 days, prior to installation.
- This allows the planks to adjust itself with the environment of the room. Do not exert unnecessary weight or stock them at exterior locations, like in garage or under direct sunlight.
- Sweep or vacuum the floor on which the hardwood planks are going to be settled. This will prevent the assemblage of obstructive components and lead to flat construction of the top-floor.
- To exclude every chance of moisture reaching the solid wood planks, lay a vapour sealant above the sub-floor. Better use an underlay that is a merger of both moisture barrier and foam.
- Next, place the first long and wide plank on the underlay with its tongue against the wall. Use spacers to provide some expansion gap between the planks and the wall.
- Add some glue to the other end of the plank and fix it with the second plank. Continue in this manner to finish the first row.
- For the second row, begin with the offset plank. Fix the tongue of the first row planks with that of the grooved edges of the second row planks.
- Repeat the procedure until you come to the other end of the wall. Use some weight and a hammer, to tap and eliminate any kind of gap present between the planks of the floor.
Tongue and groove system is rendered best with wide planks. The edges of the hardwood flooring planks are waxed to withstand against inflection of humidity. Hide any kind of sub-floor flaws with matchless hardwood and make your abode even more enviable.